Inspired by the Matea Gold of LA Time, Cari Champion decided to pursue a career in journalism and quickly made a name for herself. Besides being inspired by Gold, she was also driven by her zeal to change the negative stereotypes about the African American community. “I wanted to give the people a voice that has no voice. I always fight for the outsiders. I don’t know where I got that from, but I’ve been like that my whole life. That’s why I love journalism,” she once said. Today, Champion is a recognized presenter in the daily coverage of the world’s leading athlete.
Born on June 1, 1975, in Pasadena, California, Cari Champion is best known for her work on ESPN2’s First Take (2012 – 2015) and the channel’s flagship show SportsCenter. Champion graduated from the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1998 with a degree in English with a minor in Mass Communications. She immediately began her career as a reporter in West Virginia, a job she described as “god-awful” because she was “a one-man band with a camera and tripod. But she also confessed that she loved it because she “always wanted to be a reporter.
The champion then shone on local coverage in Santa Ana, California, on OrangeCounty Newschannel, and later on WPTV TV in West Palm Beach, Florida. She also worked for WGCL-TV in Atlanta and in 2009 was one of three women selected out of 50 for the Tennis Channel, where she remained until she joined ESPN in 2012.
Cari Champion Married/Husband/Boyfriend
“Was Cari Champion ever married?”, “Is she seeing anyone?” Who is Cari Champion’s boyfriend?”, fans of the accomplished sports anchor often ask. Unfortunately, the answer to this question is the only speculation, as Champion has been kept quiet about her private life since her rise to mainstream reporting.
Cari Champion Net Worth
When Cari joined ESPN First Take in 2012, the debate show’s audience ratings soared and viewer numbers increased rapidly. In 2015 it was promoted to ESPN2’s flagship show SportsCenter. Achievements like this attract a huge paycheck, and the champion is indeed well paid. From 2012, her salary was estimated at $1 million and her net worth at $2 million. In recent years, her net worth is said to have increased to $2.5 to 3 million.
Cari Champion Height, Body Measurements
Cari Champion is 180 cm (5 feet 9 inches) tall. She once revealed that “with heels” she is 6 feet 1 inch tall.
The body measurements of the Champion are 35-25-37 inches.
Bra size: 36 B
Dress size: 8
1. The parents of Champion are named Dylan and Mariah Champion
2. Cari studied in her first year in Washington D.C. and did an internship at CNN.
3. she was fired from her job once: while working at WGCL-TV in Atlanta, Champion was fired in 2007 for using profane words on air. She appealed against the dismissal and explained her actions in an interview, saying, “My co-host and I talked about a mechanical screenwriter. She is sometimes difficult to use. The last part of our conversation was stupid banter and hardly audible, but it was picked up. I called the screenwriter a ‘mothersucka’, not the F-bomb. I emphatically deny any attempt to cover up the mishap. In fact, I was the one who pointed it out to the news directors. And on the beta tape, wherever it is, there are conversations that clearly support my position.” She won the appeal and was reinstated in January of 2008. But after barely three months, she left Atalanta to go to greener pastures.
4. Her love of tennis grew as she reported on the Williams sisters in Florida. “They made me love the sport even more,” she said about Serena and Venus Williams. They opened the door to tennis for so many different people.” Cari then auditioned for a position in the news department of the tennis channel, where she hosted the Court Report news segment.
5. Champion was hired through Heidi Watney and Jemele Hill for her first ESPN job as host of First Take.