Vanessa Angel is an England-born television and film actress and former model. She is best known for her role as Lisa in the 1990s comedy hit series Weird Science. The actress also played the role of Claudia in the 1996 sports comedy Kingpin.
Vanessa, a multi-talented actress, began modeling as a teenager and has graced the covers of Vogue and Cosmopolitan magazines, among others. Born in England, the beauty finally left modeling behind to take her place in front of the camera. And since then, she has shot all cylinders; from small to large screens, Vanessa Angel has everything under control.
Vanessa Angel Biography
She was born on 10 November 1966 as Vanessa Madeline Angel in Harrow-on-the-Hill, an area in northwest London. Her parents are Elizabeth and Peter Angel.
From an early age, Vanessa loved acting and was very active in her school’s theatre club. She was cast in many of her school plays but never dreamed of pursuing an acting career.
At the age of 14, Vanessa was discovered in a café in her hometown London by the late famous model agent Eileen Ford. At the age of 16, she signed with the leading international model agency Ford Models in New York and therefore moved to the USA. Her modeling career was very successful and she traveled to different countries around the world and achieved international modeling status. She also graced the front pages of prominent international fashion magazines.
Vanessa Angel had her first film role in the 1985 comedy Spies Like Us. The actress, who became a model, was hand-picked by the film director to play the role of a Russian spy in the film. For this role, she had to adopt a Russian accent, which eventually sparked her interest in the film, and since then there has been no turning back for her.
She sharpened her acting talent further and eventually became a member of the Actors Studio in New York. She received a guest-starring role in the television crime series The Equalizer (1988). After completing her professional training, Vanessa Angel played a leading role in a number of films and television programs in the early 1990s, including a small role in the film King of New York and Sleep with Me (1994).
Vanessa Angel also had recurring roles in Baywatch (1991) and in Reasonable Doubts (1992-1993). She also had a guest appearance in 2 episodes of the iconic 1990s series Melrose Place.
She received her groundbreaking role in 1994 when she was cast as Lisa in the comedy series Weird Science, based on the 1985 film of the same name. While working on the series, Vanessa Angel was cast as the female lead in the sports comedy Kingpin in 1996, followed by Kissing a Fool (1998) and Made Men (1999).
At the turn of the century, the actress continued her flourishing acting career when she appeared in the sci-fi horror movie Sabretooth in 2002. She also had roles in The Perfect Score (2004) alongside Scarlett Johansson and in Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (2004) opposite Jon Voight.
In 2005 Angel played himself in an episode of the popular HBO show Entourage. She also played a guest role in the fifth season of Californication (2012). In the thriller film Trouble Sleeping (2015) she played opposite her husband Nick Otto.
5 Key Facts You Must Know About Her
1. Vanessa Angel is 5 ft 8 inches tall.
2. Although Vanessa Angel is her birth name, the name of the former model and actress was almost changed. According to her, she was worried that people might think she was a porn actress.
3. In 1995, the actress was originally cast for the title role in the adventure series Xena: Warrior Princess. However, due to an illness, Vanessa Angel was unable to travel to New Zealand to start shooting. She had to give the role to Lucy Lawless, who was already present at the location.
4. Vanessa Angel has been married to her actor colleague Rick Otto since 1996. The two met through actor Lee Tergesen, who was Vanessa’s co-star in the comedy series Weird Science (1994). They married on April 1, 1996, and in 2002 the couple welcomed their first child, a daughter named India Otto.
5. Vanessa Angel is also a fashion entrepreneur. Her clothing line “VANE la” was launched in the summer of 2009.